About 45 minutes from our apartments there is a town called Intercourse. We found the name to be quite interesting, but it became even more interesting when we found out that it was an Amish town. We had never seen Amish people before we moved out here so we decided to go to Intercourse to see how they live. Driving through was gorgeous. Everything was so green and so well taken care of. The men were out farming and the women were out taking care of their beautiful gardens. They are definitely hard workers. I was pretty surprised when I saw their houses because I assumed they all lived in little cottages, but some of them had really big, nice houses. We could pretty much tell which houses were owned by Amish families though because most didn't have porch lights and their laundry was always hanging in the back yard. :)
Anyway here are some pics we took on our trips to Intercourse...

They use horses rather than tractors to farm.
SHARE THE ROAD
Yep these buggies actually have blinkers for them to signal when they turn... thought that was pretty sweet. :)
We went to a place called Kitchen Kettle Village that has a bunch of little shops, canning kitchens, and a small petting zoo. Our favorite was the Jam & Relish Kitchen. They had a ton of yummy stuff and you can just walk around and taste everything. The Amish make some good food!

They had this fake cow that you could milk and some watery stuff came out into the bucket... of course I had to try it.
At the petting zoo they had a llama that people can feed and pet. It was probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
I thought this sign was kind of funny...

I was a little bit nervous to feed it.
Brenton loved it.

The souvenirs were great... we got an I love Intercourse magnet. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment